The Youth Marijuana Prevention Council is forming as a nonprofit organization dedicated to identifying and promoting policies that prevent underage use of marijuana. It will accomplish this through:
- Convening policymakers, industry, academia and media to elevate the importance of preventing youth use of marijuana;
- Informing the public around the impacts of youth use of marijuana;
- Launching thoughtful efforts in strategic states to impact policy to reduce youth use; and
- Distilling existing research on the impacts of youth use into thoughtful and credible white papers.
This organization will be:
- Governed by an independent board of directors with expertise in public health and policy advocacy.
- Agnostic on the issue of marijuana legalization and solely focused on preventing youth use.
- Driven by public health science
- A clearinghouse for best practices that also looks to fill in research gaps in this area.
- Transparent in its process for vetting and distributing research.
- A resource that provides leadership and tools to ensure that protections for young people are made a top priority as states consider marijuana policy.